Friday, February 11, 2011

Day 15

The answer is...................Alyssa. The birthday girl!!! I am really glad the Jensens were able to go to the McCarneys house to celebrate birthdays!

February 11th 1986 in Nome Alaska was a foggy drizzly day, with the temperature hanging around the mid 30's. But there was something in the works that would brighten everything up! Yep a beautiful 8lb 13oz girl that we knew had a middle name of Sue, but the Alyssa part didn't come along until about 10 days later! ( the hospital really wanted to get that birth certificate done). We were living in a duplex on 3rd ave. in Nome with a good view of the ocean from the living room. Her older siblings were happy to have her home, especially Becca, who wanted to take care of her. Even as a young child Alyssa was soft spoken and gave serious thought to things before voicing her opinion.

Alyssas first trip to the dentist was interesting, she was about three and Deena had primed her for the experience well in advance. She went when some of her siblings were getting their check-ups, and when it came her turn, all the pre-visit coaching went out the window. She would not open her mouth. Finally the dentist coaxed her into opening up, he got his fingers in there and..... she bit him! So much for that try.

A couple weeks later, the day for another try is approaching, we have been coaching, but it is obvious that more needs to be done. so Deena sweetens the pot: " if you are good for the dentist and do what he says you can choose a Barbie from the surprise box that we have for birthdays. " Alyssa careful considers this prize and responds: " 2 Barbies". ( Lynn, I am sure you have experienced her negotiating skills by now) OK, Deena agrees and off to the dentist it is, and......same results, only I think it was a different finger that got bit this time.

Yes Alyssa had a Tom Boy-ish period in her life that I am sure we make sound like it was longer than it actually was. I always remember the comment by Jake " Alyssa, you're about as close to a brother as I am ever going to get".

Once while on vacation in Arizona, Alyssa witnessed Deena withdrawing about $150.00 from an ATM, she quirried her mom about how much that cost to use that machine, and when Deena responded " about a dollar" Alyssa's eyes got big and she said : " I have a dollar!" I guess I would of been excited too if I could get $150.00 for $ 1.oo.

Of course I should mention the time when she took the snowmachine out for a ride after dark, and she didn't return when expected. I was just going out the door to look for her when she came home, big tears and all telling us she had tipped it over. It was really no big deal , I got it righted and it started right up. She has always been good with equipment, a good driver and also a good shooter!

It was fun to be able to see many of her Cross Country meets and watch her mature in High School. A couple important memories that I have had with her in her adult years have been: After dropping her off for the first time at ISU, I was driving away from the parking lot and I could see that little face way up there in that big Dormitory! Made me get all chocked up. Our Teton hike together, something we all need to do more of, was great, we had to move off the trail to let a cow moose through, and one evening we sat on a big flat rock and quietly watched a gorgeous sunset. Also that was a memorable trip because I met this tall guy that lived upstairs from Alyssa that let me have his bedroom for a night, I think he was trying to make a good impression,............ he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment