Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 5

Today was spent at the hospital with Dad. He had his hernia operation. Everything went pretty well, they did have to go with a modified anesthetic plan after having some concerns with his heart, but when I left him at 8 pm tonight he was doing well and eating very well. Dad is really good about eating green smoothies even if they dont taste good. OK, another Dad story. Last night Dad shared with us the story of his one other experience with surgery.

It was 1962 and dad was a forman at the PFI papermill in Lewiston. He had an employee that really wanted the first day of hunting season offf, but there were other more senior people that did also so dad informed him that he would have to work. Well this guy didnt want to take no for an answer, and insisted that he was taking it off. Dad said they argued, finally the guy said he was going to the bar that was close to the mill. Dad went home but knew he still had to deal with this, so he went to the bar so they could talk, well, he was still outside when the guy came out and before dad knew it he took a swing at dad at hit him on the right cheek, now it broke the cheek badly because he had a roll of quarters in his fist! Dad went home but Mom took him to the hospital. It was decided, because it was affecting the biones that held his eye in place that surgery was needed. Dad remembers that as they were putting things back together they adjusted the bones until Dad said that his vision went from double to single, meaning they had the eye socket at the right height, and then they put things into place! He recuperated in the hospital for a week and then another week at home befoer he went back to work. The guy still had his job and he met Dad outside the mill and talked about all the repecussions he had had since he hit him ( allthough I find it amazing he still had a job) and asked dad what he could do to make things right. Dad told him to forget it. Dad also reported that he turned out to be a pretty dependable guy that he could call on to work overtime when needed. Later on this guy worked for PFI at a mill at Kamiah and had his shirt or jacket get caught in the machinery and it ended up pulling his arm off. They must of been quick with first aid, because he lived, but while rushing him to a hospital about 20 miles away the car broke down! Luckilly an ambulance came from the hospital and got him.

Hey, Ethan and Matthew have joined the 31 club! Ethan is going to practice dribbling a basketball 31 times each day and Matthew will do 31 jumping jacks each day. Right on guys, we are proud of you!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Glad to hear Grandpa is doing well, I hear they just aren't feeding him enough though! :) Grandpa always has such entertaining stories! I didn't write my 31 day commitment down but something that I am continually working on, but I will try extra hard for the next 31 days is to manage my time better. I've found that the better I am at getting to bed early and getting the proper amount of sleep the easier it is for me to get up and get things done first thing in the morning. So I guess for the next 31 days I will do two things, try to get to bed early-ish and try to manage my time better. :) Thanks dad for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story to hear about Grandpa Holee. I am sure Grandma Boo was quite frantic when Don came home to see her from work with a broken eye socket. I know I would be saying, "JAKE WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST GO STRAIGHT TO THE HOSPITAL! :) Were any you kids around when this happened? I am really glad you are sharing stories like these with us. I love hearing history of family. I have always thought that my blog will allow my children and grandchildren to know me when I am older. Maybe even when I am not around any more. And this kind of rings true while reading your blog. Thanks Papa Doug and Grandpa Don!

    ReplyDelete